1. Andrea Middleton 1
    Andrea Middleton Tuesday, February 28th, 2012 at 9:41 am |

Love the bulk bins! Only recently I realized that most of the organic pasta in the bulks at Freddie’s is more expensive than packaged organic pasta at Trader Joe’s. I also like TJ’s for organic canned beans & tomatoes. (I know you cook from dried beans, but with two little kids I’m giving myself a break on that lately.) I’ll try Winco – I had never heard of them!

2. Kristen@TheFrugalGirl 3
    Kristen@TheFrugalGirl Tuesday, February 28th, 2012 at 10:26 am |

I wish more stores in my area had bulk bins. My organic store does have some products in the bulk bins, and they’ve got lots of bulk spices. It’s great for when I need to buy a rarely-used spice…I can buy just a little instead of buying a whole container and then letting it get old in my cabinet.

3. Liana Ottaviano 5
    Liana Ottaviano Tuesday, February 28th, 2012 at 11:17 am |

I also love bulk bins! Our Food For Less has plenty of them. I reuse the plastic bags(if they held something powdery or sticky) with a wash and dry, tie them in a “slip knot” and keep them in my car. Then I’m ready for the next trip with no advance preparation.

I only refrigerate/freeze my wheat germ and nuts. Never thought about flour and rice! Thanks for the tip!

Annie Kip Thursday, March 1st, 2012 at 6:07 pm |

Sara, you are such an inspiration. I love how you lay out the details of how you do things and what your thinking is about the choices you make – it makes it seem like I could do it too! You really have such helpful information – I always learn something from you! Thanks tons for all the details!!!!

5. 'Becca 9
    'Becca Thursday, March 15th, 2012 at 11:20 am |

I love bulk bins! Here in Pittsburgh, East End Food Co-op has many things in bulk at great prices, and a lot of them are organic. Instead of buying in bags, you can bring your container, weigh it empty, write the weight on the label, and then fill it; the cashier deducts the weight of the container from the total weight and charges you only for the weight of the food. It’s so convenient!

6. Paula in the UP 10
    Paula in the UP Wednesday, August 15th, 2012 at 5:21 pm |

We have no stores with bulk bins…. to tell the truth I don’t think I’ve ever been to a store with them. Maybe it’s a regional thing.