1. Sheila 1
    Sheila Friday, August 31st, 2012 at 5:12 am |

Make pie!

This is how I make applesauce, too! I picked up an inexpensive food mill and I run it through that after it has cooled down. Yum! So good.
    Sheila recently posted..Two WomenMy Profile

2. Heidi 3
    Heidi Friday, August 31st, 2012 at 5:17 am |

Are your apples ready already? Ours have a way to go yet. This is how I make it too, just chop them up and run it through my mother-in-law’s ancient food mill afterwards to get out the seeds and stems. Sometimes I throw in some blackberries or raspberries too, if I have some around. I makes great sauce for freezing and using in muffins, etc. later on in the winter.
    Heidi recently posted..soothing lavender bath soak – for stress, insomnia, aches and pains (or just because you’d like a nice smelling bath)My Profile

3. Cathy @ Noble Pig 5
    Cathy @ Noble Pig Friday, August 31st, 2012 at 6:48 am |

I love the idea of not peeling. I need to try this someday and yes, that is a big pot!!
    Cathy @ Noble Pig recently posted..Take Five Candy Bar BrowniesMy Profile

4. Kirsten Hope 7
    Kirsten Hope Friday, August 31st, 2012 at 7:55 am |

We love homemade applesauce. I’ve never made it on the stove though – only the crockpot and that’s worked great for us!
    Kirsten Hope recently posted..The worst job I ever hadMy Profile

5. Michelle 9
    Michelle Friday, August 31st, 2012 at 9:07 am |

Looks delicious! I made homemade apple sauce about 10 years ago when before I had my tonsils taken out. I borrowed a co-worker’s cone sieve with pestle and that was a lot of work. :) Too bad I didn’t feel like eating at all while I was recovering. The applesauce kept though, it would probably be my favorite thing to make with a lot of apples. Good job you guys! and good job making others taste test :)
    Michelle recently posted..Leftover Cashew Cheese? Make Kale Chips!My Profile

Annie Kip Friday, August 31st, 2012 at 3:22 pm |

Thanks for this, Sara! Apple season is almost here, so I may give this a shot. Looks good! Question: how fresh do the apples have to be? I often find myself with apples that the kids say are too mushy to eat and I wonder if I could use them for applesauce. Will the be a difference in the taste?
    Annie Kip recently posted..Favorite Things Friday: ChangesMy Profile

7. miggiepdx 13
    miggiepdx Saturday, September 1st, 2012 at 6:48 am |

Great illustrations! Really understand the process! Thx! Also — had to laugh at the note about your daughter. Our kids still run from the room when the camera comes out. Have to be really sneaky to get a good photo of grown kids!