Rita@thissortaoldlife Wednesday, November 7th, 2012 at 5:28 am |

Yay for a voice of sanity regarding the holidays! Holidays are what we make them. Letting go of my ideas about how they should be has allowed me to make them something I actually enjoy (as opposed to endure).
    Rita@thissortaoldlife recently posted..Got old drawers?How to repurpose old drawers into a shelving unitMy Profile

2. Pam 3
    Pam Wednesday, November 7th, 2012 at 6:40 am |

So glad to see that other people are also ready for a change. This year we are doing thing the simple way so that we can spend more time just enjoying each other. Thanks for the tips.
    Pam recently posted..HOMEMy Profile

3. Karen 5
    Karen Wednesday, November 7th, 2012 at 7:04 am |

My immediate family consists of two adults and two little rescue dogs. The adults work retail, which means all of Black Friday weekend.

Nearest family is 1-1/2 hours away, one-way. If we go to visit it will be the week after Thanksgiving. It is too much of a rush to go for Thanksgiving Day, and on extremely congested highways.

4. Michelle 7
    Michelle Wednesday, November 7th, 2012 at 8:25 am |

I actually like the cooking, but love when guests ask to bring something – lots of yummy new dishes to enjoy. Now if only guests would ask if they could come over and clean the house beforehand!

I like making things ahead of time (gravy broth from roasted turkey legs a few days before, mashed potatoes kept hot in the slow cooker, using a cooler for all beverages and condiments to keep the refrigerator clear) and having people help when they get there!

5. Kris 9
    Kris Wednesday, November 7th, 2012 at 8:46 am |

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays because it is a simpler holiday–it doesn’t involve the hype that other holidays involve. You are absolutely correct–many, if not most, of the dishes can be prepared ahead of time. Add a pretty tablecloth or runner, a few gourds scattered around, and voila! Instant festivity!

That being said … we are travelling 9 hours away to my in-law’s house so my mother-in-law will bear the brunt of the work! Thanks, mom! :)

Annie Kip Friday, November 9th, 2012 at 7:21 pm |

I am soooo with you on this! It is hard to change when other people expect certain things of you, but you can’t live your life for other people’s pleasure. I am constantly trying to reassess which tasks, jobs, traditions are worthy of keeping. I like hearing how other people do this too! Thanks!
    Annie Kip recently posted..Bad CamouflageMy Profile