Rita@thissortaoldlife Monday, December 10th, 2012 at 8:31 am |

Sara, I need to get through Christmas first! :-)

I’m not so sure about the idea of lowering expectations as a key to happiness, but I really like the idea of setting SMART goals–and the R stands for “realistic.”

(Oh, and knowing that you’ve got a potty mouth makes me even more sure we could be friends. :-))
    Rita@thissortaoldlife recently posted..Celebrating a simple holidayHow we’re hopping a ride on the peace trainMy Profile

2. Ginger Kay 3
    Ginger Kay Monday, December 10th, 2012 at 8:46 am |

I don’t usually make resolutions, but I like your list. I agree about brushing your teeth; it really does reduce snacking.
    Ginger Kay recently posted..What colour are your Christmas tree lights?My Profile

3. fabiola@notjustbaked 5
    fabiola@notjustbaked Monday, December 10th, 2012 at 9:23 am |

This is great! I like your walking sticks and motivation. I love to walk and honestly do not do it everyday. I have excuses that I will not type because one of the things I am working on, is not using excuses. SO thank you:). I am going to walk more. period.
    fabiola@notjustbaked recently posted..Chocolates and Confections Class Comes to an End…My Profile

4. Diana 7
    Diana Monday, December 10th, 2012 at 10:43 am |

I love this! I’ve been guilty of making resolutions and not keeping them, so I love the idea of making less and doing them. It’s also nice to know I’m not alone in the potty mouth department. I was also much better when our son was young, but since he’s 22, I totally fail.

5. Heidi 9
    Heidi Monday, December 10th, 2012 at 2:41 pm |

This made me smile. I have consistently low expectations of myself, and even then, I give myself a little slack. I also have a potty mouth. It’s another coping mechanism.

But the walk around the block.. That would be about a 2 day walk out here. :)
    Heidi recently posted..white chocolate party mixMy Profile

6. Michelle 11
    Michelle Monday, December 10th, 2012 at 8:28 pm |

My fun-loving friend and I have been making up yearly “themes” to guide our actions during the last 6 or 7 years. The theme must (roughly) rhyme with the year – wacky, huh?
    “Off the Shelf in 2012″ was this year and honestly, I really finished alot of things that I had been putting off (or “on the shelf”), and did some things that I was “saving” for later/a special occassion.
    Next year’s theme was chosen last weekend at our Wine Club holiday party – this is where the best themes are created: “Fit to be seen in 2013!” It is going to mean a little something different to each person, but revolves around fitness. Happy New Year!

Annie Kip Tuesday, December 11th, 2012 at 8:03 am |

Great point, Sara. I think you can also make a big goal more realistic by breaking it into manageable chunks and tackling one at a time. I also love Michelle’s idea to have a theme – that makes a lot of sense and guides the everyday decisions toward a goal. Baby steps!
    Annie Kip recently posted..Birthday CrepesMy Profile

8. Kris 15
    Kris Tuesday, December 11th, 2012 at 9:28 am |

Sarah, you make me laugh!

I don’t do New Year’s resolutions. What I DO do is to commit myself to maintaining a (mostly) healthy lifestyle. I lost 60 pounds 5 years ago (yay Weight Watchers) and since then I have made a monthly commitment to weighing in with them and staying within 2 pounds of my goal weight, and let me tell you, I have had months where I have barely squeaked by! It was a lengthy process for me to get to the point of eating healthy portions and exercising regularly, and it’s all my little brain can do to try to maintain what I have achieved.

9. Melissa @ Mommy Living the Life of Riley 17
    Melissa @ Mommy Living the Life of Riley Friday, December 14th, 2012 at 2:46 am |

I’m with you about the New Year’s Resolutions! I’ve actually started keeping to mine better and better each year and that’s because I’ve made them easier and easier. Rome wasn’t built in a day, right? Step by step I’ll eventually get there.

One of my resolutions for this year is literally to take my vitamins everyday. How easy is that? I chronically forget and look up to see that I haven’t taken them in a year. Well, this year, hopefully I’ll conquer this easy resolution!
    Melissa @ Mommy Living the Life of Riley recently posted..Here in the Real Whirled ~ #MaytagRW #MaytagMomsMy Profile