Because my kids do most all of the house cleaning around our home as part of their “allowance” responsibilities, I really don’t do much house cleaning anymore. Yes, this is nice but trust me, standards must be lowered when it comes to teenagers doing “housework.” At least I’m not doing it!
It’s best if I don’t wear my reading glasses around. That way, I can’t actually see anything up close. (You know what I mean here!) What I’ve come to realize is that my house does get a super-clean-up for the following 3 events:
- When out of town guests come for a visit (remember the 14 we hosted for Thanksgiving?).
- When we do a home exchange (remember me scrambling before our last trip?).
- When producers call me and say they would like to film on location at my home (those lights are bright and really highlight the cobwebs!).
That’s it. Three times. And the last one? Number 3? Well, we just had a film crew here on December 20th. Yes, we had quite the to-do list to get ready for them!
Yahoo Finance contacted several months ago and asked if they could do a story about how much money our family had saved by going “green” and of course I said, “YES!” I wrote up a post about all the ways going green had saved us and then I had my husband do a spreadsheet analysis of dollar savings. I am sure we underestimated but regardless, we high-fived and butt-bumped about how much we have saved over the years. Then, we got down to the business of our to-do list.
We cleaned. We checked things off the to-do-lists. We added things that we had ignored for years. We finished the chair in our bedroom. It’s amazing how long you can can go without a seat when it’s covered in clothing.
We painted the laundry room floor where I had moved the washing machine.
We bribed our children. Wait – the Yahoo producer bribed our children. She told the kids they could skip practicing their piano for not one but two days if they would agree to be filmed. And, yes, my husband and I totally went along with this.
It was my son’s turn to do garbage and recycling and he did it on camera. Bless his little 16-year-old heart. My 14-year-old daughter refused to be in front of the camera but she was filmed playing the piano and you can see her during lunch. These are both back of the head scenes. Fortunately, her head looks good from behind.
The Yahoo Finance folks wanted to film us riding our bikes and I was not thrilled with having to do this in the rain. I am a fair-weathered bike rider and my hair was camera ready not ready for bike helmet head! Plus, my 20-year-old Subaru is mighty warm and dry in the rain. I will walk anywhere in the rain but bike riding is for the super-hearty-hard-core-bike-riders and not wimps like me. But, there we are putting on helmets and mounting our bikes. We only rode to the end of the driveway.
It was fun and we all agreed that getting our house picked up and cleaned before the holidays was a nice benefit of all the filming hub-bub. Please schedule an out of town visit or agree to do a home exchange or tell Oprah to come over for coffee. It seems a major event is needed so that we spiffy up around here.
- Thank you to Sarah Lybrand and the Yahoo Finance gang for making the trip out here. It was very nice of you to remove your shoes while filming. You all had cute socks!
- Thank you to my husband for appearing with my in front of the camera. Brad is such a behind the scenes guy and was so nervous. He did a great job. Look out Kelly and Michael – there could be a new morning talk show!
- Thank you to my kids for being so helpful with getting everything set for the big filming day and for cheering me along. I’ve already forgotten about all the times you said, “Is this because of the filming?”
- And last but not least – thank you, dear readers, for reading Go Gingham and leaving such insightful and helpful comments and sharing ways that we can all live well on less.
What are reasons you clean your house?
Go Gingham related links:
Where frugal and green living come together – more ways we save!
Frugal grocery shopping – without coupons!
Why I use an inside laundry line and not an outside laundry line
How to install an inside your home laundry line my son helped me install ours
Parenting: Children’s Allowances have kids? They need chores!
11 reasons to meal plan every week – save money, save time and reduce food waste
Yahoo’s related link:
Here’s the Yahoo Finance segment: How we save $5K/year by being “green”