Annie Kip Thursday, January 10th, 2013 at 4:06 pm |

This sounds great. I have always wanted to make my own cleaning solution – why are cleaning solutions so dang expensive anyway???? As usual, I will benefit form your experimentation and perfection fo the formula. Thanks for the recipe.

2. Cheryl 3
    Cheryl Thursday, January 10th, 2013 at 8:23 pm |

Could I add Dawn Dishwashing Liquid instead of the Dr. Bronner’s liquid soap, or is there something special about the Dr. Bronner’s soap?

3. Karen G. 5
    Karen G. Friday, January 11th, 2013 at 1:15 pm |

A person after my own heart…. Dr. Bronner’s Pure Castile Soap is a budget-friendly household and personal-care favorite. I store it in the quart-size bottles and stock-up when I find it at a good price (locally or on-line). I’ve never paid full price for it and generally keep 2-3 in storage.

I also keep a spritz bottle mixture of water and alcohol in the bathrooms and use it all the time to wipe down all surfaces, handles, door knob…. Pure alcohol can remove paint or harm some surfaces, so I generally use a 50/50 mixture.

You can also make your own “hand sanitizer”:
    2/3 cup Isopropyl alcohol 91%
    1/3 cup aloe vera gel
    Essential oil in your choice of fragrance (optional)

For my weekly cleaning (surfaces and floors) I prefer a steam cleaner to avoid chemical cleaners entirely.

4. Kathy 8
    Kathy Saturday, January 12th, 2013 at 4:16 am |

Thank you for sharing this recipe! Do you use this on your kitchen countertops?

5. Brenda L.W. 10
    Brenda L.W. Saturday, January 12th, 2013 at 8:15 am |

I just watched your video on Yahoo and hopped over here. I love your blog! In our house we try to live green and I have tried so many homemade cleaning recipes. The one thing I want to share is that there is a growing concern about using Borax due to reproductive issues. I feel that if THAT is an issue, then what problems will be discovered later? Here is a link http://www.enviroblog.org/2011/02/borax-not-the-green-alternative-its-cracked-up-to-be.html
    Just thought I’d share.

6. Martha 12
    Martha Tuesday, January 15th, 2013 at 5:55 am |

Hi Sara,

I had all those ingredients on-hand, and made my first batch of the cleaning solution. I love the smell of the Dr. Bronner’s products–especially the peppermint ones! So far I am very happy with your recipe. The only thing I have noticed is that it practically freezes under my sink at night. When I get up to use it (yes, I clean with it everyday), I have to shake it up really well to break up the big chunks that have formed. I live in AZ, so it can’t possibly be actually freezing. Do you think the combo of ingredients just separates when sitting for a while? BTW, I love your blog, and and thrilled that I have found it. I put it in my “Favorites”! Keep the great ideas and recipes coming.

7. Kendal 14
    Kendal Monday, January 21st, 2013 at 12:29 pm |

Possible reason for the chunks?