Annie Kip Thursday, April 18th, 2013 at 3:53 pm |

Hi Sara, Thanks for this! I have been eating a lot of eggs lately – now that the girls are back in production mode! – and I have been wondering if I should keep my shells and do something with them. I didn’t know about using them for slugs – great idea!

I would love to see a post about your composting methods – I have tried different things and nothing is just right. I would like to avoid buying an expensive rotating compost bin if I can and I am sure you have a terrific solution I could copy!
    Annie Kip recently posted..Everyday Is Special Spring Flower ArrangmentMy Profile

2. Carrie Cook Minns 3
    Carrie Cook Minns Friday, April 19th, 2013 at 6:37 am |

Thanks for the tips and reminders!! I will definitely be checking out your tomato planting routine since mine is fairly pathetic. Cheers!
    Carrie Cook Minns recently posted..When the World Feels UncertainMy Profile

3. Tina B 5
    Tina B Friday, April 19th, 2013 at 7:06 am |

Perhaps this is a stupid question, but if you’re using your egg shells in the back yard, does that bother your chickens? Do they understand that those egg shells are from their eggs? Maybe it’s a non-issue because they’re in a totally separate place, but I just had to ask. Thanks for not laughing at me.

1. Tina B 6
      Tina B Friday, April 19th, 2013 at 7:08 am |

Never mind, I missed the part about toasting them. I guess they can be canibals too. eeewwww.

4. Shelley Miller 8
    Shelley Miller Sunday, April 21st, 2013 at 4:41 pm |

Yay! A natural way to keep slugs at bay! Thank you for this wonderful garden tip, Sarah!
    Shelley Miller recently posted..Home Exchange Vacation Preparation – Helpful House Tips Template (Part 2 of 3)My Profile

Annie Kip Monday, April 22nd, 2013 at 10:37 am |

Sara – question: do you rinse out the egg shells before you compost or use them in the garden? Do you let them dry out? Do you break them up as you toss them into your compost pail? Thanks!