Rita@thissortaoldlife Monday, July 8th, 2013 at 7:58 am |

I’ve never thought of putting awnings on our windows–nor have I really thought about the purpose of them. I guess I always thought they were just decorative. We have a hard time keeping our house cool in the summer, so this is something I definitely need to consider. Thanks for giving me a solution I hadn’t considered!
    Rita@thissortaoldlife recently posted..Ikea as investment furnitureMy Profile

2. Erin FB 2
    Erin FB Monday, July 8th, 2013 at 10:27 am |

“Get an assistant to help you – think honey-do-list here.”

Love.

Great idea for keeping the house cool in summer. I, like Rita, had never considered they had a purpose! We have heavy velvet drapes on our south facing window, and those do a great job of keeping the room cooler as well, but it does get dark in that room. I like that ambient light can still come in with the awnings.
    Erin FB recently posted..Visiting Portland? Our top five sights (and more)!My Profile

3. Kris 3
    Kris Tuesday, July 9th, 2013 at 5:51 am |

Wow. I’m impressed that you made these. I usually close the blinds on hot, sunny days. :)

Annie Kip Monday, July 15th, 2013 at 6:55 am |

I can testify from personal experience that these awnings do work! The office, where my son slept last week when we did our home exchange, was cool enough without air-conditioning. The whole house actually felt cool during the day, even though it was very warm outside. I like how you take practical ideas to the next level, Sara, and show that we can do so much ourselves. The awnings look nice on your house as well!
    Annie Kip recently posted..Portland, Oregon Home Swap: Porch WisdomMy Profile

5. Heidi 5
    Heidi Monday, July 15th, 2013 at 1:57 pm |

We put up an awning on our big window at our old house, It made a huge difference! Ours was retractable, so we could pull it in in the winter or during a storm, but it provided shade inside as well as some shade to sit under outside. We loved it.
    Heidi recently posted..todayMy Profile

6. Steve 6
    Steve Sunday, August 25th, 2013 at 4:59 am |

I can also attest to their effectiveness. Great for keeping the house cool when they are in a spot blocking the sun from coming in and also great at limiting the weather from beating against a door or window.

7. macey 7
    macey Tuesday, October 22nd, 2013 at 4:08 am |

wow. I tried doing that once myself, but gave up after a few hours. Too troublesome.You actually diy your own awning, very impressive