Here’s what the 9th week of this home organization project has taught me: The less I have, the more I want less. It’s a think piece. Things I’ve been keeping and holding onto for one reason or another are now going, going, gone! Once we finish an area, it feels so good. During it and figuring out what to tackle next, I’m usually sorry.
Home Organization Project 9
- Weekly. This week’s project. Furniture.
- Small. With only
4 items5 items going, it seems small but it’s furniture so it’s big! Asses.Assess: We went through every room in the house and talked about the furniture. What we needed and why. What we should hold onto (that’s another post!) and what we should part with. We also decided to paint the office, move the day bed out, and rearrange furniture. Honestly, we didn’t anything – I decided “we” needed to do the office.
- Clear, clean and BUSTED! It’s true – my hiding spot for files, tripod and a breakfast tray have been found out. They were under the bed in the office. Once we went from 4 items to 5 items (after I convinced you-know-who to a mini-office re-do!) the Mr. said, “Where are you going to hide your stuff now?” Kitty has claws!!
- Sell it, baby! While I’m reluctant to sell items on Craig’s List or eBay (too much work!), we’re doing it. First, I’ll try to sell it locally – to our neighbors! If you’re reading this and know me, call me. Land-line – STAT!
- Stop buying. With a little office re-do (you’ll read all about it soon – as soon as I get the room painted – or have someone else do it – hint, hint!), I’m going to put together a larger desk for myself. I need more space – to take over the world with my stylishly frugal ways! – to be creative and think clearly. My office is in the dining room right now – and also in a tiny corner of the office. Stuff is spread out and not how I like to work.
- Less is more. It really is. I was racking my brain trying to figure out how to store the rocking chair or at least the cushions but really – why? I’m really trying to say no and have less stuff – including chairs – and you know I love chairs – even when they have cute gingham trimmed cushions.
Another week – done. The chairs are all crammed into our entryway right now. That’s how I know we’ll get rid of them – quickly! Progress is happening but it is slow – and painful! Next week – oh, who knows – I’ve given my kids an assignment but they may need bribing.
How’s your de-cluttering project coming along? Are you parting with furniture?
Go Gingham related links:
A little home office in our dining room
Green living: once a month garbage collection
A free chair – that was rejected!
Green and frugal living – the sweet spot where green and frugal meet
Our home office is called the “Lincoln Bedroom” – find out why!