Every food market we ate at during our home exchange to The Netherlands, had a similar theme: sauce. I loved how no matter what we ordered, they had a sauce to put on top of it. Fried kibberling? Yes, please. French fries? Why, yes, please. When presented with your food, the market attendant would loudly ask, “Sauce?” As in, you want it, right? And, it’s pronounced “Sow-sss?” in case you travel there and eat at one the many food markets.
Whenever I make this sour cream chipotle sauce, we always say, “Sow-sss?” with our best Dutch accents. You’ll want this on whatever you’re serving, too. It’s great on chili, quesadillas, tacos, burritos, and cut up vegetables. I make it with low-fat sour cream but you could use plain yogurt instead. Goat cheese is another alternative here as well. Process your chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, first, so you’ll have them ready for mixing into this recipe.
Sometimes I make this sauce with just sour cream, chipotle peppers in adobo sauce and onion, if that’s all I have on hand. It’s still good.
- 16 ounce (1 pound/454 grams) sour cream
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- 1 Tablespoon [url href=”https://gogingham.com/2011/01/chipotle-peppers-adobo-sauce/” target=”_blank”]chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, processed[/url]
- 1 Tablespoon onion, minced
- 2 Tablespoons cilantro, chopped (measured after chopping)
- salt to taste
- In large bowl, place sour cream (keep the sour cream container handy, you’ll reuse this)
- Add all remaining ingredients to bowl
- Stir and adjust seasoning as needed
- After serving, put sour cream chipotle sauce back in your sour cream container to store, covered, in refrigerator
You can add more chipotle peppers in adobo sauce if you really like to spice things up but add slowly. You can always add more but you can’t take away.
I like Daisy brand sour cream. It has the least amount of ingredients and the light version is very tasty.
If you’re headed to The Netherlands, my favorite market was the “Kaas Market” or cheese market, in the town of Gouda, The Netherlands. Thursday is the day to go and you won’t want to miss it.
What’s your favorite sauce? Do you have a go-to favorite?
Go Gingham related links:
Homemade tortilla chips – yes, this dip is good with these!
BBQ sauce that you can add these peppers to
Corn and black bean salad chipotle peppers in adobo sauce are in this recipe
Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce and how to process them can be found here
Spices in the kitchen