Just because you call yourself frugal doesn’t mean you don’t want to have fun and be entertained. Having fun and being frugal is what this site is all about! You don’t have to spend a lot of cash to have fun. Here’s how to save money and enjoy movies – at home or in a theater.
How to Save Money and Enjoy the Movies
- Go to the matinee showing :: Go to the first run theaters during the day and you’ll spend a lot less than going at night. Daytime dates can be very romantic especially if you go to lunch at a food cart and share.
- Eat before going to the movies :: Let’s face it – movie theater food is bad for you. It’s also expensive. Skip the fattening food and eat at home, first. On a content tummy, we’re less likely to indulge on the bad for us food. Don’t forget to skip the drinks, too. You’ll be less thirsty if you don’t get the popcorn!
- Go to a second-run theater :: Find a theater in your town that shows movies after they’ve been out for a while. This is a great way to enjoy the thrill of going to a theater but parting with much less cash.
- Skip the theater and get it from the rental store :: While not many of these are left, our neighborhood has an excellent “mom and pop” video rental spot. Support a local business and go browse.
- Check out movies from the library :: Don’t forget the local library for entertainment. Libraries have so many choices and the material can be checked out for longer than a video rental store.
- Borrow movies from a neighbor :: This is especially helpful for families. Kids often want to watch movies again and there’s no reason everyone on the block needs to own the same movie. Swap and trade with your neighbors rather than buying or renting your own.
- Host a movie night in your backyard :: Always fun in the summer, this is a great way to have friends over for super tasty microwave free popcorn and host a movie night outdoors. A white sheet hung between trees will do the trick. Find out who has a projector and share that, too.
- Check garage sales :: Movies are often times on sale at garage or estate sales. For very little money, you could own the movie you were going to rent.
- Check out RedBox :: For about $1, you can check out a DVD from a RedBox movie rental box. Search “RedBox promo code” in your favorite search engine and you can get the rental for free. This is my kids favorite way to rent movies these days. They ride their bikes to the store and check movies out themselves!
Just because you’re frugal doesn’t mean you don’t want to have fun. Saving money and enjoying the movies is easy if you follow a few of these ideas. It’s very Go Gingham to be frugal and have fun. Try it!
What would you add to this list of money saving strategies while still enjoying the movies?
Go Gingham related links:
Ottoman slipcover hides shoes, socks and whatever else my kids stuff under there!
Meet Internet Girl she likes shiny objects and is easily distracted!
Parenting: Children’s Allowances
Social Networking and Parents Behaving Badly
Time tested family rules – who knew these would work?
Our weekly ritual – Technology Free Sundays