With our home swap trip to Boston this past summer, one of the highlights was a tour of the actual test kitchen, on “America’s Test Kitchen.” Without cable TV, our cooking show viewing is pretty limited but we – the whole family – do watch Christopher Kimball and his gang on“America’s Test Kitchen” since it’s on public television. An entire season of America’s Test Kitchen, the TV show, gets filmed in the “test kitchen” during the month of May. During the rest of the year, they’re testing recipes and taking lots of photographs for their publications (Cook’s Country and Cook’s Illustrated) and their website.
America’s Test Kitchen Tour
Throughout America’s Test Kitchen, the recipes they’re testing and cooking, are made with the actual sizes of ingredients that home cooks use in their kitchens. They’re not buying industrial sized containers of broth or soy sauce – they’re getting sizes that we all cook with at home.
They also use home-cook-size bowls, measuring cups, and mixers.
They have one of these, too: an actual human dishwasher. Where can I get one?
There was so much activity in the filming area and the light was so bright. Even though the show gets filmed once a year, there’s filming and pictures being taken every day.
The kitchen area was just buzzing with activity – and cooking!
Not only are the episodes filmed here but all of the photography for their cookbooks and other publications get shot here as well.
I was so envious of the props they have – and they’re completely organized, too!
They keep everything labeled (fabric, towels, placemats, and dishes) and sorted by color. The dishes are kept wrapped so they don’t get chipped or dusty.
They also have an extensive cookbook collection that is sorted and color coded – of course it is!
Even my teenagers were impressed with what happens behind the scenes at the Test Kitchen – and it’s hard to impress teens!
Thank you, America’s Test Kitchen, for the tour. We’re still talking about it!
- Leave a comment below telling me what cooking show set you’d most like to tour. It can be a current show or one that’s only re-runs.
- Using “Random Number Generator” and having my handsome assistant (husband) as a proxy, I’ll draw a number.
- Contest ends Friday, November 1st, 2013 at 11:00am (PST) and will be announced here.
- Winner will be notified by email and will receive the cookbook, “The Complete America’s Test Kitchen TV Show Cookbook, 2001-2013,” from America’s Test Kitchen.
- You may enter one time only.
- Sorry international readers but this contest is for U.S. residents only.
Disclosure: I have not received any compensation for writing this post and have no material connection to the company. This is being disclosed in accordance with the FTC’s guidelines.