This is week #44 of our ongoing home organization project. This crazy weekly clean-out was our New Year’s Resolution for the year. My plan was to do several projects ahead of time and then write about them. What’s actually happening is that I’m completely scrambling on Fridays and spending the afternoon cleaning, organizing, and sorting while my ‘assistant’ takes pot-shots.
Who’s my assistant? My adorable husband. He works from home – and totally helps me with whatever I need. Just want to give him that shout-out before I share what he said today.
Brad: “So, how long do you think it’s been since you cleaned out these cabinets?
Me: “Oh, probably 8 or 10 years.”
Brad: “Wow, they’re really dusty. How does all that dirt and dust get inside the cabinets when the cabinet doors are closed all the time?”
Me: “I’m not sure how the dirt and dust gets inside the kitchen cabinets. How long has it been since you’ve cleaned out the cabinets?
And, there you have it. Well, those cabinets are clean now. Of course I used the healthy and green all-purpose spray I made – and didn’t think twice about how after spraying it everywhere I was about to put our dishes back into the cabinets.
Home Organization Project 44
- This week’s project. Kitchen cabinets.
- Small. It took about an hour – or more. Kids came home from school and were trying to eat and Brad was trying to start dinner. I kept saying, “You’re in my shot!” and “Move, can you get out of my light.”
- Clear and clean. Everything came out of the cabinets and from the upper cabinets, too. While I always say that old houses have no storage, the upper cabinets are original and that’s where I stash holiday decorations. Easter and Halloween items are kept up top.
- Get set. We agreed to get rid of some wine glasses that we had registered for – 25-years ago. There are only 5 of them left and I don’t like them anymore. They also tip over. I’m better off drinking wine out of a glass jar. Remember when I broke two wine glasses on a home exchange? Clearly, fancy wine glasses and I don’t get along. We moved all of our other (Ikea) wine glasses to the top cabinets – with the decorations. We don’t use them enough – and they need cleaning before we do. Next time we host our dinner group, we’ll get them out and properly clean them.
- Stop buying. Here’s the thing: we’ve had the same dishes for almost 25-years and with two teenagers, they’re chipped and we have a lot fewer than when we got married. Once the kids move out (they’re both in high school so we have a few years yet), I plan to give them all of these dishes and I’m getting something new.
- Less is more. While the cabinets look – here’s how we added wood to the back of the cabinets and painted it – about the same, there is less in them. This “less stuff” business is something I’m really liking. I’m not buying and I’m also not picking up items from the corner sidewalk spot with signs that say, “Free.” Every time I drive by a pile and keep on going, I pat myself on the back. It’s not easy!
My plan is to get next week’s project done before Friday afternoon rolls around again. It’s been busy around our house lately – school meetings, fall sports coming to an end, and gardening/outdoor projects on hold until spring time, I hope to be napping next Friday – and not organizing. We’ll see…
How did your home organization project go this week?