1. Michelle 1
    Michelle Tuesday, July 3rd, 2012 at 9:13 am |

Great post! At first I was like burlap drapes, c’mon! But these are gorgeous and I love how they let just a little bit of soft light through. Question though from a novice, how would they be hung? i.e. clips on the drape, clips on the rod that clip on the drape? If you’re leaving it to me I would use those same office clips with twist ties ;-) Okay just kidding.

2. Shut Up & Cook 2
    Shut Up & Cook Tuesday, July 3rd, 2012 at 9:30 am |

Love your canine assistant!

3. Kris 3
    Kris Tuesday, July 3rd, 2012 at 10:43 am |

I needed this idea several years ago! :) Another idea for inexpensive fabric is to use painter’s drop cloths. I used them to make curtains to hide ugly storage shelves in the basement (I fastened them to the ceiling with a staple gun) and they worked out great. The curtains are in my kid’s play area, which has a treehouse theme, so I hot-glue gunned (I’m pretty sure that’s not grammatically correct, but anyway …) silk autumn leaves to them. You could stencil them, add ribbon borders, etc.

I’m probably the queen of weird window treatment ideas, but in my son’s bedroom (cowboy theme) I hung bandanas over a window rod for a valance. And … when I found a shower curtain I loved but no coordinating window treatment was available (at Target a couple of years ago) I used placemats hung by curtain rod clips as a topper.

Annie Kip Tuesday, July 3rd, 2012 at 3:58 pm |

So many creative ideas! You could hang the burlap drapes any way you would hang regular draperies – french pleat with drapery hook and ring or clips as I did. I would recommend some kind of pleat to make nice folds. I love the canvas painter’s drop cloth idea too!

5. jill 5
    jill Wednesday, July 4th, 2012 at 5:35 pm |

Hey Sara!
    I’ve been considering burlap for a while (I have a bit of obsession with the fabric). I had 2 questions for you. 1. Did you find that there was any odor? Some burlap is treated and it sometimes smells a bit. 2. Any issue with shedding? I love the look of the texture so much. It’s sort of like linen and velvet mixed together.

6. Rosa 7
    Rosa Saturday, October 13th, 2012 at 9:19 pm |

Just made these! They look awesome! Thanks for the idea!

7. donna 8
    donna Sunday, November 11th, 2012 at 3:41 pm |

Just came across your site while I was looking for burlap drapes,thanks I will do what you suggested “no sew” I also saw a great idea of using heavy rope as tiebacks it looked great.

8. Kathy K 9
    Kathy K Sunday, January 13th, 2013 at 9:27 am |

I think burlap placemats would be a neat idea with some nice secondhand fabric underneath or around the border. You could have two ways to use the placemats summer and winter perhaps!!!