Remember when I made pesto with my girlfriends? Well, we had a bunch of peeled garlic leftover. The garlic was really from the last time (a year ago) that we made pesto and had been in the freezer an entire year.
We all agreed it shouldn’t be re-frozen. I volunteered to take it home with me and make it into something.
So I roasted all of it and then froze it to use later.
- Peeled garlic
- Olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- Preheat oven to 275
- In a jelly roll pan, place peeled garlic
- Drizzle with olive oil but don't drown the garlic
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes
- Place garlic with oil and spices in heated oven for 20-30 minutes. Test if done by inserting a fork. If it goes in smoothly, it's done.
Then, I used the roasted garlic to make a dip. Or a spread. You can do either with it.
- 1 cup roasted garlic
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 cup mayonnaise (I use low-fat)
- Roast garlic (see above)
- Place roasted garlic in food processor.
- Add cottage cheese and mayonnaise.
- Pulse until smooth, several minutes.
- Store in refrigerator in an air-tight container.
If you don’t like mayonnaise, you can substitute low-fat sour cream in this recipe.
The spread is excellent on bagels, English muffins, as a dip with vegetables, and with potato chips. I served it on toast with tomato slices for lunch one day.
It was a hit. I made this at my home with friends from the Fusion NW TV Show.
Lots of roasted garlic on hand is a really good problem. Try roasting some today. Enjoy!
What’s your favorite way to enjoy roasted garlic?