1. Liana 1
    Liana Monday, February 4th, 2013 at 3:26 pm |

Great post! I make my own vanilla extract too, and have two jam jars in process at a time. Several years ago a friend gave me about 40 vanilla beans (maybe from Ebay?) and that started my habit. I top off with new vodka when I use some, so it’s always full. Plus, when I have a recipe that calls for a whole bean, I just pull one out of the jar.
    Liana recently posted..Morton Salt Girl CostumeMy Profile

2. Heidi 3
    Heidi Monday, February 4th, 2013 at 3:47 pm |

We make our own too – it’s a much better price than buying it up here, and tastes justes as good as the stuff from Cuba or Mexico.
    Heidi recently posted..it’s a good day for hibernating.. and making bacon & cheddar muffinsMy Profile

3. Aimee Ford Conner 5
    Aimee Ford Conner Monday, February 4th, 2013 at 4:16 pm |

I’ve made my own vanilla for years although I have always used rum. I love it. It also makes a GREAT housewarming gift.

4. Cee 7
    Cee Tuesday, February 5th, 2013 at 5:52 am |

Thanks for the idea. I’ve never tried to make my own before so this might prompt me to. I don’t bake a lot so a small bottle would be more than enough.

Question: about how many beans would you have used for your 750 ml bottle if you were only using fresh beans?
    Cee recently posted..Push it up FridaysMy Profile

5. Lisa 9
    Lisa Tuesday, February 5th, 2013 at 4:57 pm |

Thanks Sara, I was just thinking about doing this. It seems like we go through vanilla really quickly, and it’s so expensive.

6. Tammy 11
    Tammy Wednesday, February 6th, 2013 at 8:04 am |

I am excited to try this. I am wondering how many beans to use for that size bottle. I didn’t see a video link-
    thanks for the great idea.

Annie Kip Wednesday, February 6th, 2013 at 8:27 am |

I can NOT believe how easy this is!!!! I have some vodka that I was thinking of getting rid of, and now I am going to make vanilla extract! You are brilliant!!! It is so expensive to buy – this is a great idea!
    Annie Kip recently posted..Happiness is…My Profile

8. Katie B. of HousewifeHowTos.com 15
    Katie B. of HousewifeHowTos.com Saturday, February 9th, 2013 at 2:41 pm |

Homemade vanilla extract has such a wonderful flavor! It seems like every time house guests find out I make my own, they ask for a bottle and I wind up starting from scratch again. I definitely need to start making several jars at a time now!
    Katie B. of HousewifeHowTos.com recently posted..A Printable Cleaning Checklist For Kids RoomsMy Profile

9. Tami M. 16
    Tami M. Saturday, November 23rd, 2013 at 3:45 pm |

Hi! I just starting making vanilla and my friends all wanted some, so I bought some small bottles online for storing liquids (there are food grade and non-food chemistry grade. I used the chemistry ones because my chemistry professor said they would be fine if I sterilized them, there are guides online for all of these). Then my friends just brought their empty bottles back for a refill. I just read that you can reuse the beans. Do you add any new beans or just use them over and over? Is there a point where the old beans are just done?