What’s the quickest way to get a family to eat a healthy, real food dinner? What about getting a family of four to eat an entire pound of fresh spinach? Make spinach salad of course! This is a true classic, with boiled eggs, chopped bacon, and freshly made dressing.
What’s not to love? It is such a meal that we love it with fruit smoothies, too, when having it for dinner. (Here’s our favorite recipe for fruit smoothies.)
Boil the eggs and cook the bacon the day before and this comes together in no time for a fast, weeknight, healthy, real food dinner. The dressing couldn’t be easier to make either.
Once you mix the salad dressing with the spinach, the yellow part of the eggs break down and thicken the dressing – imbibing it with a creamy mixture.
So good and so good for you!
- 1 pound baby spinach - (I use Earthbound Farm)
- 6 eggs (organic)
- 4 strips bacon sustainably raised pork - (I use Niman Ranch)
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 lemon – juiced
- 1 Tablespoon organic sugar/evaporated cane juice – (I use Wholesome Sweeteners)
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt (or ½ teaspoon table salt)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Boil eggs and set aside, and let cool (want perfectly boiled eggs? check here). Once cooled, use an egg slicer to slice them both ways – into small cubes.
- Cook bacon, let cool, and chop into small bits.
- In a small bowl, add olive oil, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, organic sugar, salt and pepper. Whisk together until well combined.
- In a large bowl, place spinach, eggs, and bacon. Mix together with hands.
- Pour entire contents of dressing over salad and mix together. Wait 5 minutes and mix again.
- Serve with a finishing salt and enjoy!
It’s an entire meal if served with crunchy toast.
What to do if you have leftovers? Store in the refrigerator and add to a sandwich the next day. Greens with dressing make a nice addition to a sandwich made with hard, crusty bread. It’s my absolute favorite way to eat spinach – an entire pound of it!
What’s your favorite way to eat a pound of spinach?
Go Gingham related links:
Egg, ham and cheese sandwiches – skip the fast food spot and make these
Tasty egg-in-the-basket breakfast – and egg tradition from my husband
Our favorite summer tomato meal – it’s called summer dinner!
Asian shrimp noodle salad – another tasty make-ahead dish you’ll love