There’s always something baking at our house. These cookies get baked regularly. I love anything with oatmeal, peanut-butter, and chocolate chips. Whole-wheat flour, flax seeds, wheat germ, and using non-fat yogurt in place of too much butter all make these cookies “healthier” than your typical homemade chocolate chip cookie recipe. I’ve also found that adding mini-chocolate chips to a recipe, rather than the standard size chocolate chip make baked goods retain their good flavor but not overwhelm a recipe with too many chocolate chips.
Homemade Chocolate Chip Cookies
The cookies can be frozen, packed in school lunches or as after-school snacks, and are good with coffee in the morning. I know the good with coffee part for a fact!
- 3 sticks butter, unsalted
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup organic, unrefined sugar
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 4 each eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup peanut butter – either creamy or crunchy
- 4 cups oatmeal, old fashioned (not quick oats)
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 1/2 cup flax seeds (whole or ground)
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups chocolate chips
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- In large bowl, cream together butter, sugars, and yogurt.
- Add eggs, vanilla, peanut butter.
- In separate bowl, add oatmeal, four, wheat germ, flax seeds.
- Mix together.
- Add to this mixture, baking soda, baking powder, salt.
- Mix together well.
- Slowly add dry mixture to wet ingredients.
- Mix completely.
- Add chocolate chips and mix.
- Prepare baking sheets with parchment paper or Silpat.
- Bake for about 14 minutes.
The dough can be frozen, after shaped into balls or rolled into a log for slicing later.
The ingredients are wholesome and good to have on hand – what I like to keep in the kitchen.
Use an ice-cream scooper or 1 Tablespoon measuring spoon for uniformed-size cookies.
Yummy! I’m baking some today for the track team. Pretty sure they’ll be a hit!
What’s your favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe? Do you freeze cookies or dough?
Go Gingham related links:
After school snacks that involve beans – and no small packages
Homemade granola – easy – made with molasses
Betsy’s best brownies – our chicken who is no longer with us
Delicious cake to make with apples – excellent cake
The easiest applesauce ever – seriously