One of my big dislikes of slow cooker recipes is that many of them call for opening a can of soup and pouring it on top of something. After I began paying attention to the ingredients listed on cans of soup, I realized I didn’t want to cook like that. While I try to avoid canned foods in general, there’s really nothing easier when putting together a dinner in the morning before a busy day – especially if all you have to do is open and pour!
My alternative to “opening and pouring canned foods” into my slow cooker is opening salsa that comes in a glass jar. The brand I like is Herdez because it doesn’t have preservatives and is made with the same ingredients I use at home when making a batch of salsa verde (green salsa).
There’s no getting around pan searing the pork before it goes into the slow cooker. If you missed why it’s important – why you should pan sear when using a slow cooker – it really makes a difference in taste.
Slow Cooker Mexican Pulled Pork
This recipe couldn’t be easier and it’s so tasty! It feeds a lot of people if you’re having a big party – but it freezes easily, too.
- Pork shoulder (4lb-6lb, bone in or no bone – either is fine)
- salt/pepper to season the pork
- 1 jar of salsa verde – green salsa – 16 ounces ( I prefer glass jars to canned goods)
- Cut the pork into 4-6 pieces and salt/pepper generously.
- Pan sear the pork pieces – follow these directions pan sear when using slow cooker
- Place pork in bottom of slow cooker.
- Pour jar of salsa over pork.
- Turn slow cooker to high for 6 hours.
- When pork is done, use 2 forks to shred the meat.
- Serve with pinto beans, tortillas, fresh salsa and cheese – taco bar!
- Look for “all natural” pork – no hormones, no antibiotics, no artificial ingredients added.
- Look for salsa verde – in a glass jar – that doesn’t contain preservatives or other junk.
- Remove the bone and make broth with it – follow these directions for chicken broth but use the pork bone instead.
That’s it – Mexican pulled pork and it couldn’t be any easier – or tastier! Try it – you’ll love it!
A PDF version of this recipe is available here: Slow Cooker Mexican Pulled Pork
What’s your favorite recipe to make in a slow cooker?
Go Gingham related links:
Pumpkin and squash soup – it’s easy and delicious!
Lentils and pork – lentils are similar to beans but there’s no soaking
Sour cream chipotle sauce that is an excellent dip
Grilled vegetables – on the grill – great for summer
The tangiest, yummiest BBQ sauce ever!