Is it romantic, or crazy, that my husband and I like to go to estate sales on Friday afternoons? I’m going with crazy because while it is an inexpensive ‘date’ – relatively speaking – we’re trying to have less stuff rather than more! We’re in the midst of a year-long home organization/de-cluttering project and buying more isn’t part of the formula to reduce.
Here’s what I bought on a recent Friday – a very cool vintage handbag also known as a project.
But I must be stopped because here’s what I already own – and have already redone.
This cute handbag that I lined with bikini fabric.
So there’s no reason to buy more, right? Say it with me now….Right!
- This week’s project. Bags, purses, backpacks.
- Small. Easy – most of the bags are in the same general area.
- Clear and clean. I cleaned all of these shelves when we did the mini-office re-do so I didn’t clean them again.
- Get set. Several of the bags are going to our local clothing closet for school kids. They always need backpacks! The estate sale find? Going on eBay! If you want it, call dibs now!
- Donate. Whatever doesn’t go to the above two is getting donated.
- Trade out. “Once something new comes in, something must go out.” I know I said that but I didn’t follow my own rule. I promise to do a better job of walking away!
- Stop buying. Do we really need more things in life? The answer to this is no – we don’t – BUT, it’s fun on Friday afternoons. I don’t even want to tell you that I bought an entire bag full of old panty hose for $1.00, but I have a plan to use those in the garden. Yes, I washed them.
- Less is more. Less is more and every time we clean out an area I want to have less. It feels really good.
And don’t forget these…..
Those piano bags from last week that no one wanted? I washed them and stored them. Those I can’t get rid of.
Another week and another area is done. Yes!! One change to my ‘donate’ everything stance. Brad has sold several items on eBay and we’ve taken clothes to be purchased at some local shops. The sales are bringing in some bucks, so now we’re selling! It’s looking like a second-hand shop in a corner of our basement and I honestly want the stuff gone but it’s definitely been worth selling some items.
How’s your de-cluttering project? Making progress? Any ’80s accessories you’re keeping?
Go Gingham related links:
A “new” briefcase for a blogger – me!
This began as a joke but it’s super cute: wine bottle slipcover from an old dress shirt
What every room needs: a tissue box slipcover
Toilet tank slipcovers – I know this is wrong but I couldn’t help myself
A tray table with a slipcover – because tables need slipcovers, too