Happy April Fools’ Day! Today, I’ve got a cookbook giveaway for the latest cookbook from Myra Goodman. Myra co-founded Earthbound Farm Organic with her husband, Drew, and wrote the cookbook titled, “Straight from the Earth,” with her daughter, Marea Goodman. It’s a vegan cookbook with gorgeous photography and tasty, easy to make dishes.
This *meat*loaf recipe from “[amazon_link id=”145211269X” target=”_blank” container=”” container_class=”” ]Straight from the Earth[/amazon_link]” tastes excellent and that’s no April Fools’ joke! It’s so good even my meat lovers said, “Hey – this is actually pretty good.” Can’t ask for more than that from a meat-loving family!
Reprinted with permission from Chronicle Books.
Barley, Quinoa and White Bean Loaf
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup pearled barley
- salt and pepper
- 3 Tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 cups cooked white beans (here’s how to cook white beans and freeze)
- 2/3 cup dried whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted and chopped
- 2 Tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- In sauce pan, bring 2 1/2 cups vegetable stock to a boil. Add pearled barely, quinoa and salt. Cook covered for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare loaf pan and set aside.
- Mix chia seeds with remaining 1/2 cup vegetable stock and let them sit.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet (I used my cast iron pan) over medium heat, add the onion and stir occasionally. Add the carrots, celery, and garlic and saute for 2 minutes. Add the oregano, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pinch of pepper. Cook, stirring frequently until the vegetables are tender ~ 3-5 minutes.
- Add the beans to the large skillet with grains. Mash mixture with a potato masher until beans are partially broken up. Add the bread crumbs, pine nuts, chia seed mixture, parsley, and mustard. Stir until well combined. The mixture will be thick and challenging to stir.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer mixture to prepared pan. Press down and smooth out mixture. Bake until top is firm and golden brown, 45-55 minutes. Allow loaf to rest for 15 minutes before cutting it into slices and serving.
My notes for the recipe:
- Use red quinoa if you can – it looks more like *meat* – just sayin’!
- Look for barely, quinoa and chia seeds in the bulk food section – if you don’t have them on hand. That way, you only have to buy what you need.
- I added Tabasco to the mix before putting it into the loaf pan.
- We served it with a sauce – Best Ever Garlicky Tangy BBQ Sauce
And now the cookbook giveaway…
To win the cookbook, you may enter up to 4 times and I hope you do! Each “comment” left below is an entry. You have to leave separate comments answering the question or doing the “task.”
- Answer the following question: What is your favorite meat-free meal?
- Sign up to receive email updates from Organic Bound – Earthbound Farm’s online community. (PS I’m on this email list, too, and they send coupons for their products! Yes!!)
- “Like” Earthbound Farm’s Facebook Page.
- “Like” Go Gingham’s Facebook Page. (if you do already – thank you! tell me below in a comment.)
- Giveaway ends on Monday, April 7th, 2014 at 12 noon (PST) and will be announced via email.
- Winner to be chosen using random number generator.
- Cookbook will be mailed to winner by Earthbound Farm.
- If you’re reading this post in your email in-box, you have to click over to Go Gingham to leave a comment. You can’t hit the “reply button” and have it count.
- Open to residents of the U.S. only. Sorry international readers.
- Your privacy matters to me. Your email address will not be shared.
Want to check out more recipes from this beautiful book? This month, Organic Bound (Earthbound’s program for delivery of healthy food and lifestyle tips) will be featuring several recipes. Check them out!
Disclosure: Thank you to Earthbound Farm Organic for giving me this cookbook and giving one to a reader. Thank you for supporting brands that help support Go Gingham. This post contains an Amazon affiliate link.