Is it just me or does it seem like we just cleaned out all of the cabinets and drawers in the bathroom when we re-did it? Well, that’s what I thought, too, but that was 2-years ago so it was time – again! If we’re not on top of all the ‘stuff’ in our lives, it can really accumulate. When it comes to home organization, I really try and keep the river flowing – something comes in, something must go out – but somehow with bathrooms, there’s a log-jam in my river.
For once, I’m glad we only have small bathrooms!
Bathroom Cabinet Organization
- Weekly: This week’s project – bathroom cabinets and drawers.
- Everything out: I took out everything – and vacuumed. Don’t ask me where all the dust comes from. Yuck.
- No contact: While I had made new contact paper with fabric (gingham, of course!) the cabinet that gets wet didn’t hold up too well – so I replaced it with oil cloth fabric scraps I had. Easy!
- Boxes: I used a shoe box and in the basement where I keep the “Costco” items (heaven forbid we be without shampoo or mouthwash for a second!) grouped items together with plain old boxes. Hey, I want my cute storage containers elsewhere in the house.
- All together: Grouping like items together helped me see what I had and clearly, our family will have the freshest breath around!
- Shelf assignments: The drawer in the main floor bathroom needed sorting. We also pared down on ‘hair’ items that once again my daughter has grown out of only now, she (and I) were ready to get rid of more items. The little girls in the neighborhood will be getting her hand-me-downs.
- Consolidate: So many containers of the same item! Before I buy a THING, I’m checking out my stash in the basement. I also will not be tricked by my kids with their, “But Mooooooom, I need more of _________.” I’ll be doing an inventory assessment, first.
- Eliminate: We pared down again. Less stuff, more donated and some given away. It took less than an hour to sort through all of the bathrooms (we have 2 small ones…) and replace the gingham liners. Again, weekly and baby steps.
To be honest, I want to stop this craziness but Brad just said he’s getting ready to tackle the garage. Yesss!!!! Guess my “home organization weekly project” train in motion will continue for the rest of the year. Next year, don’t look for me to do a New Year’s Resolution that is quite so much work! I’m ready for a nap!
How’s your home organization coming along? Are you cleaning out another area each week, too?
Go Gingham related links:
Fixing items at home – reduce, reuse, recycle and repair
How to organize those recipes and cookbooks – but no burning books!
Organizing recipes and set-up binders for the collection – you’ll be so glad once you do